Thursday, February 2, 2023

Spare

Happy Thursday everyone! Hope you are having a good week so far. Only one more day to Friday! Happy Groundhog Day as well! I'm hoping for a quicker Spring, but I doubt it. In fact, around here the weather is getting colder tomorrow with temperatures in the negatives. Oh well, it is winter. 

Changing subjects... today, I wanted to hop on here and recap the only book that I read in January. That book being Spare by Prince Harry.

 

Now before I go any further, I should preface by saying that before I read the book, I admired Prince Harry's gut and his willingness to forge his own path. I have been a fan of his and Meghan Markle's since they got engaged. I am also a fan of the Royal Family. I thought Queen Elizabeth was a fascinating individual and I would watch documentaries and shows about the royal family. So, I thought going into reading Spare that I wouldn't have a lot of revelations. 

Well, I was wrong. This is a heart wrenching telling of Harry's life from the time his mom was killed until now. It tells how the paparazzi has shaped his life, even though it absolutely kills him that it does. The paparazzi has invaded ALL aspects of his life and really is one of the many reasons he is the way that he is. In this book, Harry tells it all... the good- like how he met Meghan, the friendships he made in the military, etc., the bad- like when he and William would argue and fight over his decisions, his use of drugs quite often, etc. and the ugly- his reactions over his mother's death, when he realized that the family was corporation first and family second. He accounts different times that he felt like he could be himself, where each time was exclusively out of Great Britain. He found solace in the wilderness in Africa and in the wilderness of the North and South Poles. He found solace with people who wanted much more from their life than just glam and glitz of being royal. 

Spare was, to me, a refreshing, eye-opening account of what being a royal in today's society is. It was a heart-wrenching story of how a child's life was changed by people who only wanted money and didn't care about people. It was reminder that mental health issues need to be taken seriously and that when you surround yourself with people who care you can begin to live your best life. It was a look into the mind of a man who thought he understood what his role should be, only to have the rug pulled out from under him by his own family members for their own benefit. It was a look into the mind of a man who is finally able to look himself in the mirror and be confident that he is doing what is best for himself, his wife and his children and that will be his legacy. 

I highly recommend this book. 

Have you read Spare? What do you think of Prince Harry? Are you a fan of the Royal Family? 

13 comments:

  1. I just recently commented on another blog about this book. I have not read it . . . yet. I am a Royal Watcher to some extent. I find the whole thing fascinating, the incredibly long history, and the many traditions they still stick to even though they no longer have power. I used to like Harry. I've always been iffy about Megan Markle though. Even during her days on the show Suits (a show I loved!), she kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Even so, I was so intrigued that those two found each other, and I loooooved their wedding. And then it all quickly went down hill. Harry has his struggles, no denying that, but I think Megan is fueling all the commotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't understand how if he was so effected by the paparazzi and they came to the US to get away from all of that why did they chose to do the interview with Oprah, then the documentary, now a tell all?? It just doesn't seem like they've chosen to stay out of the paparazzi at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They could have cut their ties and gone away to live their lives, but no. They are (she is) determined to keep their story out there though, like they're trying to prove something, and to what end?

      Delete
    2. I completely agree Lori, but I do understand. Meghan always wanted fame & fortune. If you look at her track record of how she turned her back on her family & dumped her former spouses (just used them to climb the ladder to 'success'. I use that term loosely, because she was a two bit actress until she met Harry), you can see that she's behind this huge mess. Not that Harry is blameless at all. As someone who grew up in a British Commonwealth country and was raised with strict British ways, I understand the working and behavior of the monarchy. I am so disgusted with Harry's traitorous behavior. You never ever air your family's dirty laundry in public, especially not a family who's constantly in the public eye. Such behavior is totally unacceptable. If they were related to me, I would've written them off ages ago. Meghan is bad news, but Harry's even worse for allowing his wife to drag his family (who has been nothing but kind & generous to her) through the mud.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree that Meghan is 99% behind this but like you, I'm ticked at him for dragging his family through this and disrespecting them the way he has. If he felt his family did them wrong, then leave but to put it out there for all to hear (even when we don't want to hear it) that is totally inexcusable in my book. They supposedly came to the US to get away from it all but all they've done is create havoc for themselves and their family since. I have no respect for either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Spare, but only read a bit as I am not able to hold it. I really detest Meghan. Her first outing in the ripped jeans was really a bad look, like she was throwing any respect back in their faces. She is a troublemaker and has been proven to be a liar. We all have problems, some more and some less, but going on about all the hurt in public is not productive. Her exaggerated curtsy hurt Harry -- watch his face. She said she did not know how to curtsy, yet there is a clip from Suits where she executes a curtsy perfectly. She is not to be trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Harry and Megan and it’s hard for me to see criticism of Megan as anything but racist. I do not think she would be dealing with all this vitriol if she were white and English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't speak for anyone else but I didn't even realize Meghan was black so your remark is wrong for most people. She isn't liked because she lied and now she has a husband who was once close to his family saying things that should be left within the family. She knew who Harry was and if she had half a brain would have taken the time to learn what her life would entail. Everything isn't about race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry once dressed as a nazi for funsies and ppl forgive him. A lot of royals have done bad things over the years (and good I’m sure) and ppl make allowances. Why won’t people make allowances for Megan? What could be the difference? I’m sure she knew she would face challenges when she got married but they probably didn’t think ppl would be so cruel. Ps having trouble publishing comment so apologies if this posts multiple times.

      Delete
  7. You write the best book reviews! I'll probably add this one to my request list at the library and wait it out. I have a feeling it'll be a long wait list for it. Personally, I only casually follow the Royals. I think there might be some sort of documentary on all this over on Netflix? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read on another scholarly blog that the royal institution is totally behind the takedown of Meghan by planting continuous stories in the British tabloids. They control the narrative for their own benefit and most Brits are totally unaware. I have zero respect for any of them. I truly don't understand the fascination with these people. I wish Harry well, I believe he is a brave young man. I also wonder how the King Edward/Wallis Simpson debacle would play out if it occurred in our current culture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may give it a read. Thank you.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, a lot of strong opinions. I have no opinion on the matter except to say that MMM appeared in a show I like and I thought she was a terrible actress. More than that, I do not care and don't understand why so many people do. jmo

    ReplyDelete