Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent 2011


Today is Ash Wednesday. It is the first day of Lent for Christian faiths. Being a Catholic, Ash Wednesday is the beginning of a season where we focus on abstaining from things that we like or that are pleasurable for us. We can give up things that are not allowing us to live the best and the holy life that we are called to live. You do not have to be a Catholic or a member of Christianity to change your life by abstaining from vices in your life. I have given up many things in the past....I have given up the computer, chocolate, pop (many times), etc.
This year we are actually as a family going to be giving up something, and I will personally give up something. My life has been in such a distressed place. I am not living the life that I should. I am not taking care of myself, or my body as a temple of God. Therefore it is my hope that by giving up the things I am for Lent, I can live a more holy life that God wants me to live.

As a family, we are going to give up eating fast food. We have begun to rely on McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc. as our main lunch choices. This is extremely unhealthy for us both physically and financially. We are going to give up eating at fast food places as family.

As an individual, I am going to give up all snacking on junk food--chips, chocolate, cookies, etc. I am also going to give up weighing myself every week. I have gotten into a bad snacking habit and it needs to go. It is not healthy for me and by snacking I am basically saying I don't care for my body or my life. That attitude needs to change and I hope that by giving up all snacking on junk food that I will change my attitude toward my body. I also have gotten into a bad habit of hating the scale and getting depressed when I don't lose any weight. My hubby suggested that I weigh myself today and then wait and don't weigh myself again until Easter. I think I am going to do that. I need to just focus on why I want to lose weight and that is to get healthier and not to reach some magic number.

Do you celebrate the season of Lent? Are you giving up something for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment