Private Selection Frozen Food Review: The Dessert

Being a BzzAgent has it's perks! For one you get to try out products that are brand new on the market and review them, for FREE!
As a BzzAgent, I get the opportunity to try out new items and to review them. I was delighted to be included in the Kroger's Private Selection bzz campaign to try their new appetizers, pizzas and desserts. I recently reviewed their Southwestern Style Chicken Trumpets appetizer.  I found that they were yummy but not worth the price. I also reviewed their frozen Pepperoni and Roasted Garlic pizza. I found that I didn't care for it all that much.

So with these two reviews in the past, I went into trying the dessert wondering if I was going to like it or not. On New Year's Eve, after we put the kids to bed, hubby wanted to watch Captain America and wanted ice cream. I wasn't really in an "ice cream" kind of mood, so I decided to try one of the new private selection desserts.

According to Bzzagent.com:

  • Private Selection® Frozen Desserts ($3 - $5) have rich, delicious flavors, making them a divine indulgence. Decadent treats include Blueberry Peach Panna Cotta, Northern Spy Apple Crisp, Pineapple Upside Down Cake and a wide selection of Ice Creams (like Strawberry Harvest, Vanilla Bean and SeaSalt Caramel)



  • I had actually bought 2 different kinds of the desserts...I bought the Northern Spy Apple Crisp and the Chocolate Croissants. On New Year's Eve, I decided to try the Northern Spy Apple Crisp. This dessert comes in a package of 2 and each crisp is individually wrapped so you can make one at a time and not worry about the other getting freezer burned. According to the packaging, the Northern Spy Apple Crisp has baked, freshly peeled apples topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon oat crumble. You can prepare them either in the oven (for a firmer topping) or in the microwave for a softer topping. I decided to make mine in the microwave.


    My verdict: It was SUPER YUMMY!!!! There was just the right amount of apples to topping ratio and it was not too sweet and not too tart for me! And I love the fact that it was a great size for one serving. Also the price was pretty reasonable for what you got. The package of 2 crisps costs $3.29 at my local Kroger store. Not terribly expensive for a convenient dessert.

    The only downside that I found was that it cooked unevenly in my microwave, and so I had to heat it longer than the package said to. The package said to heat on HIGH for 50-65 seconds. I had to heat mine for closer to 90 seconds to get it heated all the way through. But that was a minor setback.

    Overall, I was quite pleased with the Private Selection Northern Spy Apple Crisp and definitely recommend it to all of you!

    Disclaimer:  As a bzzagent, I received these products and coupons free for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Happy 5th birthday Benjamin!

    Cleaning and decluttering this weekend

    Weigh In Wednesday #15 of 2017