Thursday, April 6, 2017

Happenings the last few days

I look forward to Thursday nights because my work week typically ends on Thursday. I don't typically have tutoring on Fridays and I prefer that in order to have some sense of a 3 day weekend. Today, I am SO THANKFUL that this is my Friday. The last few days have been full of a lot of little stuff that has just accumulated and added to my stress level.




Yesterday I met my brother at the Kokosing Trail to walk. He says he wants to lose 15 pounds, even though he really doesn't. I obviously need to lose weight. I put a question out on facebook if anyone local wanted to walk with me and my brother was the only one who responded. :-(  So, we met up on Wednesday after I dropped the kids off at school and after Joe got off work (he works 3rd shift). We walked for 3 miles and it was really nice to just chat with him about stuff and spend some time with him.

After I got home, the phone rang and it was my kids' school. Never a good thing when the school calls. Apparently Jacob had been punched in the stomach by another student and the principal wanted me to be aware of it. I am protective of my children and this infuriated me. I know there is a problem with bullying in our school district and I was worried this was a case of that. (In actuality it was Jacob was trying to stop another child who was trying to take a ball away from someone and that kid then punched Jacob in the stomach. We have talked about minding our own business and if he sees something like that, he is to tell the adult in charge.)

I then had 2 very difficult tutoring sessions with kiddos who didn't want to work with me at all. One even told me that he hated me. He has told me that before and I don't let it get to me, but he has so much potential and he thinks he is funny when he says things like that and chooses not to do his work.

Then, last night I had just gotten Benjamin into the bathtub, when Bill called to see if I could pick him up at the car shop as all the gauges went out in the van as he was driving home. STRESS!!!!! I came home and went to bed with a huge headache.

This morning, started early with the cats jumping on our bed at 5am and then knocking things off the bathroom sink as they were trying to get a stink bug.

I really did not want to get up this morning and we ended up running a few minutes late to get Ben to school. There really is no penalty if he is late, but I hate being late.

I also woke up with the headache. Tylenol and drinking caffeine only alleviated it a bit. The weather today has been cold and rainy and miserable. It is supposed to snow tonight! Crazy Ohio weather!

Bill was able to get his van today. Thankfully, they said it was only a censor that needed recalibrated and so only charged for half-hour labor ($60).

Then we got another phone call from school. This time it was because Jacob got hit in the face with a basketball and his glasses had gotten broken (basically snapped in half at the nose). But the teacher that called asked where we got his glasses (Walmart) and then said that she was actually headed there to pick something up and if we had her permission to take his glasses and see if they could fix them. Absolutely. She took them and because they were less than a year old, Walmart replaced the frames completely and his glasses are as good as new! That was so sweet of her and completely unexpected.

So nothing majorly huge going on, but just a bunch of little things that have added up to be major stressors. So right now, I am sitting her in my sweatpants, long sleeve night gown, fuzzy socks and really am just trying to relax. After tomorrow, my kiddos are on Spring Break so I am not so sure relaxation is on the plan!  




8 comments:

  1. I was tutoring a 17-yr-old who did not do his work, was late, and did not pay attention. His parents were paying me $30/hr. I called the mother after the third week. She called me back and said he now had to pay for his own tutoring, would lose use of his truck, and would have to drive to work with his father. The kid straightened up and flew right, immediately! Tell the parent/s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually work with this particular child (grade 5) at his home, so mom is more than aware of his attitude. She just tells him to stop but he doesn't. I am used to it and usually it doesn't bother me.

      Delete
  2. What a blessing that the teacher was able to address the broken glasses on your behalf! She certainly went over and beyond the call of duty! Have a great day! It sounds like you have been struggling of late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a LOT of extra stress! I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this! And my goodness Jacob had a tough week too! Here's to hoping you find some time to relax/recharge before Spring Break begins! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to. Today was a better day! Now the kids are home for the next 10 days for break....

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had one of those Alexander days, where all the little things pile on top, creating stress out of annoyance. It is ok to grumble, and hopefully today will be smoother. congrats ot your little guy for standing up to a bully. I'm sorry he was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the type of day it was! LOL

      Delete