Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Amish Country Weekend: The Farm at Walnut Creek

Thank you everyone on your well wishes on getting my wisdom tooth removed. I am 5 days out and the pain is minimal. Last night I was able to eat more solid food with less pain so that is an improvement. I go back to the dentist tomorrow for a follow-up. I have had a busy few days with a camp-out this weekend, my 40th birthday on Sunday and trying to play catch-up yesterday on housework (still not done). However I still have a couple of posts about our Amish weekend to work on first. Trying to play catch-up so please bear with me!! :-) 

Two Saturday mornings ago, we awoke early to get an early start on our day as it was supposed to be around 110 degrees real feel temperature. We ate breakfast at the hotel-- which was phenomenal. They had a wonderful selection. Then we headed out to our first stop of the day... The Farm at Walnut Creek. I have been to the farm before with Ben on 2 preschool field trips. I wanted to take Rebecca and Jacob. 



When we arrived we first headed toward the wagon ride area. We were a little early  for our scheduled 9:30AM ride, so we walked around the bird area a little bit and saw some pretty peacocks walking around.  




We then got to the wagon ride area in time to take the 9:30AM wagon ride. Rebecca loved the wagon ride. Ben did as well. Jacob wasn't too sure of it all and he and I sat in the middle. They had a lot of different animals to feed, including llamas, different kinds of cattle, deer, and others. They also had a new baby giraffe on the property named Lisa who was 4 weeks old. So cute. 















After the ride we had some food left over so we went around to feed the other animals on the property, including the goats. 









Jacob did not want to feed the animals. I know he was scared and unsure. Bill even told him that he would take him to a Browns football game this year it he did. Well, after much cajoling we finally got him to a feed a goat. 





Then, to my amazement a few minutes later I caught Jacob by himself down at the end of a fence feeding a little goat that was all by himself. Jacob said that the little goat was hungry and he didn't want it to feel left out. But for Jacob to do it all on his own...I was so proud of him! 



We toured the rest of the property including the huge Amish house. There we bought some peach jam, apple butter and peanut butter from Alma, this sweet older Amish woman who was selling her home canned jams. Bill even fell in the love with the apple butter (I have been trying for 15 years to get him to try it.) 





After we left the farm, we decided to head out to find some lunch. After some scouting around (we were not going to wait 90 minutes for a table at Der Dutchman) we ended up in Charm at the Charm Family Restaurant. The food was okay, nothing too special, but the staff was friendly. 




After lunch, we stopped at a farm stand to get some bread and fruit for dinner (to go with the peanut butter and jam we had bought at the farm). We decided to just have a snacky type dinner that night since we had lunch late and we had a fun evening activity planned. Then we headed back to the hotel to swim and cool off!  

7 comments:

  1. Hooray for Jacob! He reminds me of my Noah...he does things in his own way and in his own time.
    I can't believe Bill had never had apple butter before. Now get him to try it mixed with blue cheese dressing on a salad. That's my favorite way to eat both blue cheese dressing and apple butter, mixed in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super proud of Jacob! I have never had apple butter in a salad. I don't like blue cheese so..

      Delete
  2. We were there last summer and had a nice time. We have Sprint and to say we had bad reception to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have any problem with cell phone reception out there. I kind of wish we had... then it would have truly been a weekend away.

      Delete
  3. Congrats to Jacob for overcoming a fear!
    I love apple butter, and peach butter, and pumpkin butter, and. . .

    ReplyDelete