Monday, December 7, 2020

Blogmas 2020 Day 7: St. Nicholas came to visit and "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town"

Happy Monday everyone! How are you all today? I hope that you had a great weekend. 

Saturday we spent the day puttering around the house and just being at home. I did some baking making the first "Christmas-y" cookies of the year... peanut butter cup cookies! 


Yesterday we had a good day celebrating the Feast Day of Saint Nicholas. Per our family tradition, shoes were left out by the front door Saturday night. Overnight, "St. Nicholas" came and brought each of us an ornament to represent our year and some chocolate goodies. 



This year, Rebecca received a ukulele ornament to represent her passion for music and her love of her ukulele.



 

Jacob received a Harry Potter themed ornament to show his new love for the book series that he is reading along with his dad and brother. 



Ben also received a Harry Potter ornament as well. 





I received a sloth ornament, to represent my love for sloths.


 

Bill received a masked Santa ornament, to represent 2020.


 

The kids loved their ornaments and they are all now proudly displayed on our tree. 

We have talked to the kids and have tried to teach them that St. Nicholas was a real Bishop who helped those in need and that some traditions that we follow are based on things that he did. We have also tried to teach them that Santa Claus is based on St. Nicholas. With that being said they are looking forward to Santa Claus visiting in a few weeks. 

That sentiment is inspiration for my Christmas song for today. The kids know that "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." 

Today has been another busy day. I tutored this morning, helping a child do most of a project that she has had ALL of last week to do and only did 2 out of the 10 google slides needed. URGHH. It is frustrating to me but I do help with what I can. After she left, I had lunch and put together a pan of chicken enchiladas so I could pop them in the oven to bake while I was tutoring this evening. Now, I am taking a moment to type this up, while the boys are watching the Steelers/ Washington Football Team NFL game. I think after I finish this up, I will go change into my pajamas and maybe relax for the rest of the night. 

What have you guys been up to today? Hope everyone has had a good Monday! 

6 comments:

  1. Super cute ornaments! Today seemed to go by really fast around here but I'm almost done decorating for Christmas. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been recovering from the tooth extraction. I love the ornaments! I need to put ornaments on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ornament tradition is so sweet. I love the thought St Nick put in each one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to celebrate St. Nicholas Day with bags of chocolate coins tucked at the foot of the kids' beds. (Based on tradition of him tossing them down the chimneys of poorer households.) Kids are teens, and we've lost that tradition in favor of Advent Calendars which get tucked with various small gifts over the season, (socks, lip gloss, hair ties, toothbrushes.) The chocolate coins used to make an appearance on the 6th, but I couldn't find them this year. Neither have I found suitable ornaments to tuck in the calendars.
    We, too, celebrated (when the kids were younger) Santa Claus at Christmas with a focus on the stories of St. Nicholas and charitable works, to the extent that kids' shopping for one another came (and still primarily does come) from the charity based thrift shop.
    No cookies for Santa here, either! Christmas Eve saw kids preparing Santa a pastrami sandwich on rye with a beer. (Nowadays, it's a charcuterie tray with wine, and it's generally gone before he hits this time zone.)
    Your post made me so happy. Your blog, actually, makes me happy. Happy Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the song- I wasn't familiar with it and it was lovely. We used to do the 'shoe santa' also but that tradition has not been carried on with the grands. We also did the special ornament but each child had a theme and picked out an ornament for it every year- oldest DD had angels, son had Nutcrackers, and youngest DD had teddy bears. I've given all three their ornaments for their tree.

    ReplyDelete