Saturday, April 14, 2018

Battle of the Books 2018

Thank you ladies for your supportive comments on my last post. I am not sure what I am going to do about babysitting yet...but I am leaning toward not watching her. The last 2 days I haven't had her and I have been so much less stressed out. It really does make a difference. But again I just wanted to say thank you for the support; it really does help! 

Another area of stress this week (and for the past 5 months or so) has been "Battle of the Books" for this year. Battle of the Books is a reading competition, where teams of 5-9 players from area 5th grades read a total of 88 books and then in a round robin competition answer questions identifying titles and authors. This year every county school had a team and competed in the competition. Because of it's growth, they held a preliminary competition on Tuesday night to eliminate 4 of the 12 teams. 

In November I became the coach for the Pleasant Street team, kind of out of necessity. Rebecca loves to read and she has been excited to be on the team since last summer. It came down to no one was stepping up to be the coach and they were the only school in the county not to have a coach, so.... I stepped in so that Rebecca could take part. 

I am being honest when I say that it was a struggle. We had lots of drama--- kids quitting after a few weeks, kids not reading when they were asked to, a child quitting 3 weeks before the finale. It was rough. 



However, we persevered and on Tuesday our team of 5 went into the preliminaries against 5 other schools. (They split the competitors into 2 different locations and they took the top 4 from each location for the finals.) 

I will be completely honest and say that I didn't hold much hope that we would move on. It was nerve-wracking. The girls did poorly in some rounds and did well in other ones. Well, we were the last team in from our prelims. The girls were so excited! 


So that meant that on Thursday night, we all went to the Memorial Theater for the finals. It was another nerve-wracking, LONG night. There were 7 rounds with 4 games in each round. In each game 10 questions were asked. 


Again, the first round was brutal and the last round was really brutal (the questions got harder each round). In the last round the coaches in front of where I was sitting and the coach right behind me didn't know any of the answers either so it was brutal for ALL the teams. 


The girls on our team did okay. They did better than I thought that they would. They came in 6th overall in the competition. 


It was a learning experience for me and Rebecca. She loved every minute of it and now has some favorite new books-- including Hatchet and Project Mulberry! I am so glad that I took on the role of coach, even though it was stressful and caused me lots of headaches. I am happy that I was able to help fulfill Rebecca's dream of being on the Battle of the Books team.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a pretty stressful week that ended well. I loved the book Hatchet! Hope you get some much deserved downtime for the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. The weekend wasn't too bad. :)

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you for stepping up for your daughter! I am glad it turned out to be a positive experience for both of you. Are you saying in your head, "Never Again!" a little right now? lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been saying "Never Again!," however there is that other part that is thinking if I do it again next year then there are things I would change, etc. LOL

      Delete
  3. I would not want anyone babysitting for my child who was so stressed out. I am surprised she even let you babysit after the first comment you made. Of course, I am not saying you should not express what you felt.

    I assume you read the books, too. ??? Read each book with a pen and notebook and write down every fact, name, as you read. Then, you can make a list of questions for each book and copy the questions so each child has a copy. You will win! Do not depend on your memory of the books to write down facts later. If a story says someone asked for dessert three times, write that down. They need to study these facts for the whole time spent reading, however many weeks or months they read. Congrats. I was always a nervous wreck when my kids were in competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used several different strategies to use to help them remember the books and authors, etc. We had games and other items to help as well.

      Delete
  4. I hope your stress is resolved soon.
    Make the choice that is best for you and your family.
    And yay for you to accomplish this achievement with your girl. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid I would have been thrilled beyond belief to have an options like this! I am with Sluggy in offering you high praise for taking on the leadership role. Congrats all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I would have loved all these opportunities when I was little as well. I am living vicariously through my own kids! LOL

      Delete