Sunday, January 6, 2019

My Goals for 2019: Update #1

So, I said that I was going to be accountable to my goals this year instead of having them sit on my blog post not to be seen until January of next year. I have decided to do weekly updates, that way I can keep these in the back of my brain and keep them fresh. I think that Sundays are a good day to do an update as then I can refresh for the week ahead and make sure that I am living each day in a way that I consistent with my goals for the year. So, without further ado, here are my goals for 2019 updates for this week::

1. Blog at least 2-3 times a week.
If you don't include this post, I have posted 2 times since the first of the year! So on target :) 

2. Read 26 books.
This week I read 1.5 books.


I read Every Breath by Nicholas Sparks. This book was fabulous and I would highly recommend. 


I am about half way through (thus the 0.5) The Brave Art of Motherhood by Rachel Marie Martin. I am really enjoying this book as well. 

So that puts me at 1.5 out of 26 for the year!  

3. Read to the boys before bed.
Since January 1, either Bill or I have read to them every night. Over the last few days we read Stanley, Flat Again by Jeff Brown.  

4. Try 12 new recipes at least. 
I haven't tried a new recipe per se...however, I did try a new product. 


I made an alfredo pasta bake with veggie bratwurst. I had heard good reviews about the "Beyond Meat" vegetarian products, so when I found a package of "brats" on clearance for $0.99 I knew that we could try it. The reviews were 2 out of the 5 in our family really liked it, 2 2 thought it was okay and I didn't like the taste. So I will take this as a 0.5 recipe since it was a new product, but not a full new recipe. :) 
So for the year I am at 0.5 out of 12.  

5. Take a walk at least 2 times a week in the winter and at least 3 times in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. 
I walked 3 times since the 1st. We have had some good weather the last couple days so we have taken advantage. 


On Thursday (January 2) we went for a 2 mile walk on the bike path.


On Friday (January 3) we did a 1.96 mile walk at Ariel-Foundation Park. 

Then yesterday we did a 0.6 mile walk as we walked home from the kids' basketball games as the sun was out and it was almost 50 degrees (also Bill had the van for work!)

6. Take a couple of hours of "me" time on the weekend in some way... whether this is getting away from the house by myself or taking a nap. 
This weekend, I took Friday night as "me" time this week. After I got the kids to bed, I got in my pajamas, turned off the lights, lay on the couch under my comfy blanket and binge watched "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo" on Netflix. 


I watched several episodes in a row and I think I may go through some of her steps to get my own house decluttered.  

7. Declutter each room of the house and donate things that don't belong in the trash and throw away trash. 
I sorted through the toys bin in our living room after we took the Christmas items down. I also labeled the bins with categories. And I took half a garbage bag of toys out to be donated! Good start to my challenge. I am hoping to work on the boys' room this week.    

8. Take 2 overnight trips with the kids and Bill. 
Just in the thinking stages on this one.  

9. Have a date night with Bill at least 2 times a month and have one of those a quarter being a date night OUT of the house. 
We had an in home date night last night. We played a game of Scrabble and watched the "Cowboys and Seahawks" NFL game. 

10. Get a tattoo. 
I have been thinking about this and am pretty sure that I would like to do a simple shark design. Now to start looking at Pinterest for inspiration. 

11. Lose weight. 
Nothing this week. I did weigh myself on New Year's Day and hated the number that I saw. It was 244.3! Things have to change. I have been trying to cut down on the number of cans of pop I have drank this week. 

So there you have it. My first update on my goals. Overall, I am pleased as punch with getting the walks in and really taking time to relax. It makes me happy! Now to continue the momentum into the next week. 

If you are working on goals for the new year, how are you doing on them? 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, way to go. You are really on track! I've been watching the Marie Kondo series on Netflix as well. I would like to try her methods as well. Of course, I can't figure out how the people with dirty laundry go through all their clothes so I'm currently having an issue there, LOL! Finished my first book of the New year yesterday, that's about all the progress I've managed around here. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how people with dirty laundry go through their clothes... although I would surmise that maybe you would know that the dirty laundry are clothes that bring you joy because you were wearing them? LOL

      Delete
  2. You are doing so well! I love the idea of doing weekly installments on the goal progress.....may have to "borrow" it myself! The picture of your family was so sweet - you all look so happy! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am trying. I will admit I got the idea from another blogger that I follow, so if you would like to "borrow" this idea I say go for it! :-) I think we just looked happy because we were able to get out of the house. Honestly things are still going rough for Bill. :(

      Delete
  3. You are doing great! I also am watching the Marie Kondo series - super anxiety for me. I can't imagine living with as much crap in my house as some of those people have. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those house remind me of my mom's house, especially with the main rooms seemingly clean and tidy, but the garages, basements, etc. full of stuff. I am really trying to simplify our home. I will admit that we have a lot of stuff, but I am learning to be choosy, especially since I feel better when there is less stuff.

      Delete