Thursday, January 17, 2019

Up and Down Week

This week has had some ups and downs... 



One "up" was Benjamin decided to take part in his school's spirit week promotion of dressing fancy on Tuesday. Thankfully, the suit that we had fit him and he looked so handsome! Definitely a high point of the week. 

Tuesday was a rough day. I woke up feeling like a failure as a mom, over-extended, not a good wife, not a good anything. It was a bad mental day. I actually ended up not going to our AHG meeting that night as I just didn't want to be around it and was questioning just about everything. 



That being said, Bill was a great support that day. He knows that I have been struggling and I think that we both came to the same conclusion that I am trying to figure out who I am in the midst of all the craziness that is this life. So instead of going to the AHG meeting, we dropped the kids off and then headed out to dinner at our local Mexican restaurant for a bona-fide date. We talked through some things and it was nice. 

After dinner, we headed to Goodwill to drop off the 3 bags of stuff that I had decluttered from the kitchen. We poked around the store for a few minutes but nothing caught my eye (except for a Vera Bradley purse that they had on sale for $14.99. It was kind of in raggedy shape though and I stopped myself from buying it because I didn't really need it). For once, neither Bill nor I bought anything. My mindset about stuff has changed since I have started decluttering. I really feel lighter with less stuff.

Wednesday was an unexpected snow day from school as we got a lot of freezing rain overnight Tuesday into Wednesday and the roads were too icy for school. I only had 1 babysitting kiddo that day, so I took the opportunity to clean up/declutter our mud room/pantry/entry. 

This was before; I had already taken out a bunch of stuff from the top shelf then remembered I needed to take a photo! 
I emptied out our coat closet and only kept what we could use and what I liked.


I was able to get a large brown sack full of stuff to donate and a shredder to donate. 


That afternoon, the kids and I went to the grocery store and I stopped by Goodwill with the shredder and sack to donate (just placed it in the donation bin by the door and left. I didn't even look around).

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/423408802439384093/

I am glad that we went to the grocery store yesterday. (I change up when I go depending on how many babysitting kids I have, etc.) Today it has been snowing off and on and it was just wet. They are calling for a  major winter storm to hit our area on Saturday; they are currently calling for 6-10 inches of snow and wind gusts up to 40 mph. That is a ton for our area. So of course everyone is panicking and I am sure that the stores are already insane. 

https://www.romper.com/p/21-blizzard-memes-to-keep-you-laughing-through-winter-storm-jonas-4456

Where as I like to say, where we live when they are calling for 6 inches of snow that really means we could get anything from a dusting to a foot because the weather people are only right about 1/3 of the time! 

Today I have been exhausted all day! It has really felt like a Monday all day today. I babysat and made dinner in the crockpot and that is about it. Right now Bill is at basketball practice with the kids and I am home by myself. I really should tackle another closet while the kids are gone but I am just resting. 

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday. It has been a really long week and I am tired. 

What is the weather like where you are? 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had quite the week. Benjamin looks very handsome in his suit. Glad your husband was there to support you during your rough day. I dropped my stuff off at the thrift store yesterday using the outside donation bin. Thank goodness for those, huh?! Have you seen the meme that says something about the weather forecast calls for a dusting or 3 feet of snow, prepare for the snowpocalypse or to have a nice weekend? So funny because it's true. Hope you have a great weekend no matter the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 2 Goodwills in our town to drop off stuff at. One of them (the larger one) you have to enter the store and go past shelves of stuff to get to the bins to drop off. The smaller one has the bins right inside the front doors, so you don't have to walk around the store at all. If I have a van load of stuff I take it to the big Goodwill as you are allowed to take a bin out to your van to unload, but I think I am going to try to be more diligent about taking bags weekly or whenever I declutter to the smaller one.

      Delete
  2. Benjamin definitely looked so handsome (and proud!) to be dressed up!
    I'm sorry you were mentally struggling on Tuesday....It's so hard to focus on much of anything when things get chaotic. Kudos to Bill for getting you away from it for some quiet for a bit!
    Good luck with the Saturday snow! That system is heading for us late Saturday night into Sunday in the form of snow, ice, freezing rain, and then back to snow! Good thing Monday is a school holiday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad Monday is a school holiday too! (Although I will still have my babysitting kids so that means no sleeping in for me ;)

      Delete
  3. Well don't feel like you have the only weather forecasters who are never right. We are suppose to get around 14" of snow but maybe 5-8 with rain or ice depending where the system goes. Just stick your head out the window and you will know. Sorry life is hard right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. That is kind of the approach I am taking. What will be the weather will be the weather. I am kind of hoping we get dumped on just so I have an excuse to just hole up inside with my family and not go anywhere.

      Delete
  4. Benjamin looks dapper and happy in his fancy duds! Sometimes life gets difficult and it's ok to feel glum.
    On a funnier note, one and a half inches of snow closes everything around here down. Even the threat of a snowfall will empty the shelves of bread and milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in Ohio my whole life it is funny, because where I am 3 inches is enough to cause a ton of headaches and a lot of schools will close. However my sister is in grad school in Cleveland and they don't close for anything since they get lake-effect snow all winter. LOL

      Delete
  5. I am so proud of you for leaving that purse behind at the store because it shows that the decluttering you're doing is really working and having an effect on how you view "stuff." What's really important is YOU and I'm glad you spent some time alone just resting. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did feel a little guilty, but then I reminded myself I am allowed to rest. I actually fell asleep on the couch after I posted last night. :)

      Delete
  6. He looks so sweet. You are a good mom, wife, blogger, person! We all have days when we don't feel lie we measure up, but hopefully you read the comments and know people have your back and have been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. It does help to know that people understand and have my back. Hope you have a restful weekend.

      Delete