Saturday, July 18, 2020

Geographical Center of Ohio and Camping Out

Happy Saturday! Hope you are having a good weekend so far. Here it is HOT and HUMID! The weather has not stopped us from having some fun though. 

Thursday, I did end up taking the kids to Centerburg to their Memorial Park. This park has the geographical center of Ohio in it and is an access point for the Heart of Ohio bike trail. The kids thought it was neat that we were smack in the middle of Ohio. 




We ended up walking 2 miles on the Heart of Ohio Trail. It is such a pretty path. 





After our walk, the kids enjoyed the swings at the park before we headed back home.





 

Thursday Bill and I had a very low key anniversary. We got Mexican take-out for dinner and quietly celebrated. Truth be told I wasn't feeling the greatest and I went to bed early. 


Yesterday, the kids and I ventured out to Walmart in the morning. I needed to get some more of my Crystal Lite stuff and I wanted to see if they had any tents (which they didn't as they were sold out). When we got there they had only one entrance open and they were handing out disposable masks to all those who did not have one. (The kids and I had ours on.) Our local Walmart decided to enact the mandatory mask policy early. (Our local Kroger, Aldi, and Lowes have also enacted their policies earlier than the national guidelines by the stores). Several people I know are furious that they have to wear masks, etc. To them I just want to say "Put the damn mask on and shut up!" That is just all I am going to say about that. 

Last night was our annual summer camping night at my parents' house. Typically we do this in conjunction with my birthday (which is at the end of July) but this weekend was the best for everyone to be in town so this weekend it was. We had a yummy cookout.





After dark we got a nice fire going. Kids made s'mores and enjoyed that. I enjoyed some lovely alcoholic beverages--I discovered Red Apple Ale Peach when I took my sister and her girlfriend out to get some alcohol. We had lots of laughs around the fire. There were tons of stars out and we saw the international space station flyby. 









We heard lots of animals calling in the night. The boys went to bed around midnight.  Rebecca and I shared a tent-- she was going to sleep under the stars, but then heard several coyotes in the distance and that freaked her out. The boys slept in one of my dad's tents and Lacie slept in a tent by herself. My dad and I were the last to go to bed around 3:15ish this morning. Everyone else went into the house to sleep. LOL 

This morning the boys were up super early. It was already hot and humid when I took down our tent and gathered our stuff. I have a nagging headache (probably due to the number of Red Apple Ales...oops!) and am exhausted. The rest of today is going to be slow going. I have gotten the kids lunch. I have taken my shower, and gotten the boys showered. Rebecca is upstairs in her room talking to her friend and playing her ukelele. The boys are watching "Frozen 2" and I am just relaxing and drinking lots of water. Lesson learned I am not as young as I used to be! LOL! Bill is upstairs taking a nap. 
It is going to be a low key kind of day! 

    What are you up to this Saturday? Do you enjoy camping?




10 comments:

  1. No. No, I do not enjoy camping, not in the least. I consider a Motel 6 camping. Call me a princess, but there it is!

    My kids and DH, on the other hand, love a good camping trip. Pity I have to stay behind and care for the animals in an empty, quiet, clean house, isn't it? Come to think of it...I think they are overdue for a trip this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I am not a camper either but somehow it has become tradition? And actually I was the only adult who actually slept outside, even though I couldn't find my pump for the air mattress so slept on the ground.

      Delete
  2. I am not a camper, but I do want a class c rv. We have kids on opposite coasts and I am not certain I am going to want to fly anytime soon. I think a small rv would be a great way to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill would love to get an RV after our kids are grown.

      Delete
  3. I consider a Motel 6 roughing it. I need ac. When I sleep in night air, I awake ill. The night sounds like fun. The second fire picture is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed camping when I was younger- I usually went on 2 or 3 camping trips a year with church and the girl scouts but no desire for it now. You had another good day! My daughter and soninlaw just celebrated their anniversary too- they married the day after JFK Jr died- 21 years for them now. Has your school district decided about school yet? We're in a quandary here- GS will be a junior in HS and AP classes are not being online but he really does not want to have to go to the school building. I have a feeling with the number of positives escalating, school in a building just won't happen so hopefully they will change the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of last week, our local school district said that the kids were going back to school in the buildings, but that was dependent on our county staying steady with COVID cases. We have had an increase this week and our governor has hinted more orders/mandates are coming this week so who knows. I am fully expecting our school district to go back all online. My kids will be devastated but it is what it is.

      Delete
  5. I love camping and would like to do more of it, but with the kids grown and it not being DH's cup of tea any longer, it would be hard to arrange. I need an air mattress or a cot now though-no more hard ground. I think when this COVID stuff is done, I might offer to take some of my great niece and nephews who probably haven't camped on a little weekend trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little trip with your great niece and nephews sounds like fun. Usually I have an air mattress but I couldn't find my pump. It was okay for sleeping on the ground 1 night but my hips and back bothered me all weekend. Needless to say I ordered a new pump from Walmart when we got home. LOL

      Delete