Friday, July 24, 2020

Long week with a couple positives!

Thanks for all the notes of support on my last post. This week has just been hard. Maybe it is all the COVID crap news. I haven't done an update for here in a while so let's see where our county stands...

Last time I wrote an update on numbers it was July 1 and we were at 48,222 cases, 2,615 deaths and 39 cases in my county. The numbers were just depressing to look at. Well here we are July 24 and the numbers are much worse. 



Here in Ohio, we are at 77,309 cases, 3,039 deaths, and 115 confirmed cases in my county. Yikes. 


Our county is now under a level orange alert, meaning there is active community spread. Ohio is now under a mask mandate for the entire state as of Thursday. Our county fair, scheduled to start Sunday, was cancelled as of yesterday. Our county heath commissioner basically said if she had the power she would shut our county down for 2-3 weeks completely. As of last week, our local schools say they are starting back in school full time. I will believe it when I see it. There has been so much animosity in our town about the mask wearing, etc. It is hard. 

When I haven't been entangled in all the emotions that come along with COVID crap, I have tried to keep busy. This week we have finally gotten some rain, in the form of pop up storms, so we weren't able to get out and walk for much of the week. I had to come up with indoor activities. I ended up attempting to make play dough with cornstarch and shaving cream. The dough never came together, but the kids enjoyed scooping it up and playing with it non-the-less. 






We did finally get a long walk in on Thursday. We walked 3 miles on the bike path. Just as we were finishing our walk we heard thunder and we had a few hours of off and on rain and storms. We did end the evening with a rainbow though so that was a much needed sign of hope. 





Today, I took the kids to a local playground this morning. We were going to walk, but a friend dropped off a pampered chef order (that I ordered 3 months ago!) and we chatted longer than I thought we were going to. The kids had fun at the playground!










This afternoon, I NEEDED to get out of the house and walk. So we went out to the Brown Family Environmental Center and hiked almost 2.5 miles. 





The hike was beautiful and much needed. However, on the drive home, as I was driving, a bee flew in the van and stung me in leg (through my workout capris!). I haven't been stung by a bee in a really long time and man it hurt! 



Tonight, I have been watching "Opening Day" of my favorite Major League Baseball team-- the Cleveland Indians. It is strange not to have fans in the stands, but it is good to have live sports again. 

This weekend, I have a ton to do on my to-do list. I need to make a Walmart run tomorrow so I will probably get up early and go. I also need to do a lot of cleaning in the house. Not much was done this week as I wasn't feeling it. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!  


6 comments:

  1. I get stung a lot and you are right, it hurts!
    I am glad you were able to get out and walk some, but the kids probably enjoyed just playing on the playground for a while.
    You are doing a wonderful job keeping them active and engaged during this really, seriously, crappy summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did enjoy it. I will hopefully take them back next week sometime so they can play longer.

      Delete
  2. Ouch on the bee sting. It is good you get out and keep all of you active. What is Rachel writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca was drawing in her sketch book. She is usually sketching something or writing song lyrics. She has really gotten into her artistic side during this summer.

      Delete
  3. In all our years of beekeeping, however, I have only been stung once, and that was because I stupidly reached my hand in the hive when changing the nectar water, without wearing gloves. It hurt, and I deserved it. The other sting I got was when I stepped on a yellow jacket at the pool in Costa Rica. The bartender ran over with a lime, and that immediately got rid of the pain. Whenever I see a bee-type being near me, I always check to make sure it isn't a honeybee or bumble bee--if so, I gently brush it off. As for wasps and yellowjackets, those I squish with no hesitation.
    You are an inspiration. I think you're doing a great job of keeping those kids busy and engaged in some trying circumstances. I liked the picture of your daughter. My eldest was the type who, when we were heading to a park or playground, would always say, "Hang on, let me get a book."
    Our schools vary by district. Our district is planning on opening with the option of 2 days on/3 days at home, or 100% online, with the understanding that we may have to go to 100% online if conditions change. Our governor, however, is making an announcement on the 28th, so that may change. I am so sad for my college kid who has no campus classes, but this too shall pass, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess both your friend and you needed that long talk and if the kids were having fun, good for you both. I hope the mask help the spread, and the reduced spread keeps hospitalizations at bay. I think people forget about the exponential growth, so if we just keep steady, hopefully those that get ill will be able to get the treatment thye need.

    ReplyDelete