Monday, July 13, 2020

Lots of hiking, a dam, waterfalls and a bald eagle!

Happy Monday! This post is a little later getting put up as I have been busy today with the kids and am just getting an opportunity to sit down to type out a post before I need to go start making dinner. 

This is after a busy weekend with lots of walking and hiking involved! Saturday evening was a somewhat better evening than how the day started. We ended up going out to get ice cream with the 
kids and then went hiking out at Brown Family Environmental Center.




We ended up hiking 3.4 miles. This was partly due to getting anger and frustration out and after arguing/yelling at Bill. Just keeping it real. I felt better after our hike. 

Sunday, we were up and out of the house pretty early. I stopped at Tim Horton's as a bribe/incentive to get up and out of the house for an activity. The kids enjoyed their donuts. We went to Mohican State Park to hike. I wanted to hike the waterfall trail. Mohican State Park has the Lyons Falls trail which I decided we could do. It was very beautiful scenery. We parked at the Pleasant Hill Dam and entered the park from there. The kids found it funny that they were saying that they were walking the dam trail. LOL 






Almost immediately on our hike we spotted a black squirrel. These are not common around here so it was cool to see. We also saw about a million chipmunks on our hike. (Ok not that many but there was a ton!) 


We spotted the 2 waterfalls. The Little Lyons Falls and the Big Lyons Fall. Both were beautiful. 





We came across the Clearfork-Mohican River. There was beautiful scenery! 



We saw some funny looking rocks and lots of trees and flowers. 





The hike to the falls wasn't too bad, but the hike back to the van was A.W.F.U.L.! Almost completely uphill and my legs were killing me! In the end we only ended up hiking a little over 2 miles but it was most definitely a workout! 




When we got home, I happened to be looking out the kitchen window and saw a large bird flying toward the house. I started yelling and pointing... an eagle, an eagle! It was a bald eagle. Just the other day I was telling Rebecca and a friend that I had never seen a bald eagle in the wild-- I have seen them in the zoo but never in the wild. Our county has several bald eagle nests and people have regularly seen eagles flying around, but I had not. It was so freaking cool to see... and outside my kitchen window no less. I saw it again at lunch time when I went in to make the kids' lunches. 




After lunch, I did some yard work--- mowed the grass and did a little maintenance in the back. Felt good to get that done. That shower after felt really good! 

The rest of yesterday was just relaxing. I made dinner---brats, fresh steamed green beans and corn. 

Overall, it was a very good Sunday! I need to stop this here as I need to go cook dinner and then head to the grocery store. Hope everyone has had a decent Monday! :) 

4 comments:

  1. Your kids should sleep well after the hikes. I have never seen a bald eagle in the wild, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sleep more soundly. They still get up really early though in the morning! LOL Seeing the bald eagle was really special.

      Delete
  2. The hike photos are gorgeous! I also have never seen a bald eagle in the wild, but I have seen golden eagles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Seeing the bald eagle was pretty special to me. I had to look up what a golden eagle looks like. It is a beautiful bird as well. I have never seen one before.

      Delete