Friday, July 10, 2020

We picked blueberries!

Wednesday we went on an adventure! I took the kids to a local blueberry patch. It seemed like it would be a fun activity. We last went blueberry picking in 2013 when Ben was still in a stroller! Lacie and Ethan had never been so I thought it would be fun. The last time we went we went to a big commercialized patch in Mansfield, but this time I wanted support the small, local farmer. So when I saw there was one less than 10 minutes from my house I wanted to give it a try. We decided to try out Big D's Blueberry Patch. The owner is actually one of the officials who volunteers his time to run the Upward basketball program here in town that my kids have participated in each of the last few years.  


I have been following his Facebook page as the weather has made ripening of crops weird here in Ohio this year. He opens for a day and then may be closed for 2-3 days to allow for ripening. The blueberries are ripening but much slower than normal. He has a ton on his bushes they just need some rain to ripen. He was closed Monday and Tuesday to allow for ripening and then opening at 8:30 on Wednesday. We decided to go early to beat the heat (We went around 9:15) and I am glad that we did go that early as we were placed on 2 of the last 3 rows that he had.  Actually, when we were finished, the owner actually decided to put his closed sign out as he needed more berries to ripen.












The kids had a blast. They all said that it was fun. We spent about 45 minutes picking and they picked a lot. It ended up only being $15 for the entire pail full that the kids, my sister and I picked.

 

When we got home, I had Lacie and Ethan try a blueberry to see if they liked them. They had told me the day before that they didn't. Well they both decided that yes they did like them and all the kids enjoyed some with their lunch. I sent a bunch home with my mom and still have a bunch left in the refrigerator. I will end up freezing some I am sure. 

As we were picking the kids said they wished we could do this everyday. Well, I told them we do it once or twice a year so that it stays a special activity, because if we did it everyday then we would get bored with it. Now I need to figure out what other u-pick farms we have around here. I know there is one near the book warehouse that I like going to so that might be another option for a fun activity with the kids. 

Do you pick your own berries? Do you like to go to U-pick farms? 

7 comments:

  1. We pick our own blackberries, as our property is covered with them. They ripen in late summer/early fall. If you lived nearby, I'd invite you to bring your posse up to pick for a day...several days in a row, in fact. They could keep coming until they were bored with it, and we still wouldn't have cleared those bushes! We have loads of U-pick places around here, but I have only gone to a U-pick blueberry field nearby. The blueberries were beautiful. I made two batches of jam, and loads of pies, but sadly, I don't like blueberries. U pick apple places are big around here too, but again, like blackberries, we have plenty on ad around our property. Oh, they aren't pretty apples, but they work wonderfully for pies, applesauce and cider.
    It's cheaper here if you bring your own container to put berries in...not sure if it's that way where you live, but here's a hint: We cut off the tops of plastic milk jugs to gather our berries in. 1/2 gallon is best, because the berries don't get squished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge blueberry fan either... the kids will eat them like candy. I will use some in smoothies for me though. In the fall we do hit up the u-pick apple places :) Here they do not like you bringing your own containers at the farms I have been to. Would love to have property with enough places to grow things. Sadly right now we live right in the middle of the city.

      Delete
  2. My back will not hold me up that long. I doubt a walker would work! I really want to go to the u-pick places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Some of the u-pick places around here have the first few rows reserved for the handicapped or elderly or those who need assistance.

      Delete
  3. My daughter and I went on Monday. Only lasted an hour it was hot. I only picked 2 lb but my husband only puts a small amount in his steel cut oatmeal. Our cost is $2.40 and they also only open when they have enough to pick, the heat must be hard on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We picked closed to 7 lbs so $15 was very reasonable in my opinion. My kids love the blueberries. I only use them in smoothies for me as I don't really like the texture of them.

      Delete
  4. I took the kids once long ago and picked blueberries (I think one of mine was in a stroller so REALLY long ago as they're teenagers now). Have always wanted to do it again. Looks like you had lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete