Saturday, July 14, 2018

Van woes, grad party, camps, and more news on Bill's jobs

Too much to do, no time to do everything seems to be the mantra of my life right now. Some things get done and some things get pushed aside. That is just the story of my life. So what has been going on?....

OUR VEHICLES::: Well, on Saturday I loaded the van up with stuff to take to Goodwill and we went to leave and my van wouldn't start. Bill thought it was the battery so we transferred everything to his van and off we went. When we got back home, we called AAA and they came out and discovered that it wasn't the battery but my alternator. Apparently I had an open diode on it or something. So off to the shop it went. We also decided to leave Bill's van at the shop because he had several lights come on and it needed an oil change anyways. I got mine back on Wednesday with a new alternator and battery and $650 out of my pocket. We are still waiting on Bill's van.... they diagnosed his as a intake valve leak above the head gasket among other issues...it will be close to $800 to fix. Ugh. Thankfully, my parents have an extra vehicle that they allowed me to borrow as I had to take the kids to camp this week.

JOSH'S GRADUATION PARTY::: On Sunday, we had to go to a graduation party for my brother Joshua. My parents were finally hosting the party almost a month after he graduated. (I was out of town one week, my sister was out of town the week before that, and other things made this a necessity.) I was asked to make cakes for the party. 


The kids and I went and helped set up and stayed the whole time and then helped tear down everything. The food was good.





The kids had fun playing UNO with Josh's girlfriend and overall it was a good time.  

QUEST CAMPS::: This past week, Rebecca and Ben have taken part in "Summer Quest" camps at Mount Vernon Nazarene University. They are weeklong science themed camps that occur from 9-12 each day. 


Rebecca took part in "Roller Coaster Engineering Quest." She did designs on the computer and they did experiments as well. 





Ben took part in "Nature's Music Quest," where they learned about animals you might find outside and the sounds that they make, etc.




They both had a blast and learned a lot. Jacob is looking forward to going to one next week where he will learn about simple machines. I did try to spend some extra time with Jacob this week. On Monday, he and I walked around the campus for a bit before we had to get Rebecca and Ben. We discovered a secret waterfall. 



Bill and I took him to the Children's Garden on Wednesday morning for some one-on-one time. We spent a lot of time asking question about the map of the USA and he was trying to figure out which state was which. He knew most of them. 





BILL'S JOB::: His job situation is still up in the air. Basically the pizza place turned into a hell hole and was not a good fit at all. I won't go into all the details but he decided to not continue working there as he said it was worse than what he was dealing with when he was at the newspaper. He is still at the sub place (and really enjoys that) and in August he will start freelancing for a local news group that has an online newspaper. We will get through this...

So that is the major topics at our house this past week. It has been a busy week, but then again which week hasn't been? Today, I am hoping to get some cleaning/decluttering done in our dining room especially around the desk area and the art cart. We shall see what I can get done. Have a great Saturday everyone!   

9 comments:

  1. Marietta is my alma mater! Go Pios!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is looking forward to it. He will be playing football for them and studying education. :)

      Delete
    2. Back when I was a Pioneer, we were written up in Sport's Illustrated for having the most losing football team in NCAA history! (Dating myself.)
      I came all the way from New England to go to Marietta. My heart had been set on it since my sophomore year in high school. My father had set it before one of my older siblings during her search. She was accepted, but she chose to stay in New England. Marietta is an excellent school. Also, at the time, at least, it was very, very generous with financial aid. Moreover, besides my stellar education, the friends I made at Marietta have remained my lifelong friends.

      Sure, some people have said "where?" "Georgia?" But anyone who knows higher education, who values higher education, knows and respects Marietta College. I loved my time there. It was a place where,for four years, we saw the same dozen or so professors almost every day. We students were not numbers to them, but actual students, in whose education the professors took a keen interest. Also, Marietta, Ohio is just a place where you WANT to go to college--the city, and the campus are just gorgeous. I understand from my dear friend still in the area that much of the campus has been changed a great deal, but the charm remains--as does our old dormitory--which was an old dormitory when we there!

      Congratulations to him! Oh, what fun.

      Delete
  2. In our part of the country, it is not unusual for grad parties to go into July because of trying to spread them out so kids can go to each others. Some combine, particularly if the child is going into the service, with a going away party. Your cake decorating skills are terrific! Even Cot-Co or Sam's club would have charged $20 a piece minimally, ad a bakery nearly twice that. I bet your cake was tastier too, as homemade often is. I like supporting our local baker for bread and donuts and sweet rolls, but the cakes they make are quite dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are all having fun. What is the 2022 cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a welcome to Marietta College cake. He will be graduating in 2022.

      Delete
    2. Mother's Day, 2022, to be exact, if the tradition remains. Go Pios!

      Delete
  4. Great news about the freelancing and sub place job - yes, you will get through this/11

    ReplyDelete