Saturday, April 23, 2011

T is for .....Turtle Lady

Sometimes a change of routine is just what you need to break out of a rut and to live better each day...

An example of this:

We had a "visiting" field trip at the after school care program that I work at. The Turtle Lady came to visit the kids. She brought turtles, snakes, frogs, and bearded dragons for the kids to learn about and for the kids to be able to touch and see. She was great and the animals were so cute. (Okay so the snakes were not so cute...but that is just my opinion!)


 
She taught the kids about baby turtles, adult turtles, how to tell if a turtle is a boy or a girl (by the color of their eyes!) and what might happen if a turtle is fed the wrong food (it's shell becomes deformed).


She taught the kids about frogs and how to tell them apart (by their sounds). She also taught them about bearded dragons and how they eat.



I will say that the kids LOVED the turtle lady. And they loved getting to touch the animals. I had one little 2nd grader who DID not want to touch the dragons. Finally I was able to get her to touch it's tail and the look of accomplishment on her face was priceless! I was so proud of her!



It was fun to have something a little different after school. It was a great break in the routine and the kids and adults enjoyed it very much.

It made me think that when you are stuck in a rut in your life, a break in the routine may be just what you need to live better each day. Seeing the turtle lady and petting dragons definitely was a break out of my rut and was just what I needed. 

What can you do today that will allow you to break out of your rut and add a little excitement?




No comments:

Post a Comment