Saturday, January 14, 2017

Pork chop and scalloped potato bake AND tex-mex tilapia (new recipe #1 and #2 for 2017)


One of the things that I would like to get done in 2017 is to try to expand our menu items. I want to try at least 2 new recipes a month. I have decided to share the recipes that I try so that maybe I can help a few of you out with some new menu ideas. I know that I get inspiration from other bloggers so maybe I can help.

This week, I was able to make 2 new recipes. 

On Sunday night, I made Pork Chops with Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes from the Pillsbury website. I served it with green beans and wheat french loaf bread (that I got on clearance at Walmart for $0.50).


Overall, it was pretty simple to put together. Appearance wise, it looked really good. Taste wise, it was pretty good. I didn't have fresh thyme, so I added dried and the flavor was a little overpowering. Jacob and Bill really liked it. Rebecca wasn't a huge fan of the potatoes, as I think the taste of the thyme was overwhelming. I will make this again, but will add less thyme next time.

On Saturday night, I made a special dinner for Bill for date night. I made Tex-Mex Tilapia from Allrecipes.com. I served it over brown rice with asparagus on the side (for Bill) and green beans on the side for me.


It was really spicy! It had a great flavor, but the heat was almost overpowering for me. I was only able to eat half of my piece of fish. Bill LOVED it, as his motto is the hotter the better. If you like spicy food, then this would fit the bill. When I make this again, which I will as it was good, I will use half of the jalapenos called for. This is definitely something that I will only make for Bill and I, as I think that it would still be too spicy for the kids. 

So, I have already met my goal of trying 2 new recipes for January. However I am not doneI already think that I will be trying a new chicken parmesan recipe out next week for another new recipe for January! I can't wait. 

Have you tried any new recipes lately?
Care to share? 

5 comments:

  1. Good for you to give some new recipes a try! RE: the fresh vs dried herbs: use twice the amount of fresh for dried or 1/2 the amount of dried for fresh. If the recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of fresh herbs, use 1 1/2 tsp. HTH

    With Lent coming up, I am always on the lookout for fish based recipes! Thanks for sharing with your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is where I went wrong. I didn't do the conversion correctly. Oh well. I will change it next time. :) Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  2. Forgot to add: the pork chop dish looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I too have been on the hunt for new recipes to try this year! My favorite one so far was a copy cat recipe for PF Changs Mongolian Beef...delish!
    By the way, I love the idea of posting a picture with the corresponding recipe! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm..mongolian beef. That sound really good.
      I am one of those people that likes to see what the final product should/could look like, so I try to always add a photo. I love cookbooks that have a photo of each recipe so I know what I am trying to achieve.

      Delete