Thursday, January 12, 2023

4 Random Things

Happy Thursday! 

I wanted to hop on here and share a few random things from this week so far:



I have decided that I like burning candles. I like the smell and the ambiance. I have several candles on the piano and have decided to light one each day. It adds a little something extra to the day. I have several candles that I have been gifted that I have never burned. It is time to use them up. 


 

We have decided to add doing dinner dishes to the kids' chore list. Currently the kids are helping Bill with dishes so that they can learn. Rebecca is on her own to do them, and Benjamin and Jacob still need to have adult supervision. Benjamin seems to enjoy doing them. We shall see how long that will last. 



I got Bill a 23andMe test kit for Christmas. I bought it on black Friday when they were on sale for half off, so I also got myself one. We mailed them off on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see what the results are. Bill doesn't really know anything about this genealogy, and I know somewhat what my background is on my dad's side of the family (great grandparents immigrated from Ireland and Czechoslovakia), however my mom's side of the family is from the backwoods of Tennessee, and we have no idea what their genealogy is. 



Why do we put off tasks that take no time at all? For example, this basket has been sitting by my bedroom door for probably 2 months. It contained various things that belonged elsewhere in the house (ie. beach towels, screwdrivers, an empty box that needed recycled, painters' tape, etc.) I FINALLY got tired of it on Monday and put the basket on the dining room table before I left for work. When I got home, I emptied the basket and put everything away where it went, and it took less than 10 minutes!! Why did I put it off for so long? Who knows. 

What I do know is that I need to get ready for work. This week we only have the kids for 4 days and then tomorrow is an in-service day so I am not sure what we are doing for that. I hope everyone has a good day! 

Do you burn candles? Do you like doing the dishes? Have you ever done one of those genealogy tests? Do you put off doing things that would only take a short amount of time? 

11 comments:

  1. I do burn candles. There for a while I was doing the essential oil diffuser thing but really you can't beat the ambiance and scent of a candle. (I still use the diffusers places where maybe candles wouldn't be the best idea like down here in the basement) Good for you in having your kids do those chores. Most kids enjoy the sensory experience of washing dishes by hand. Personally, I despise cleaning the kitchen but don't mind dishes as long as their not too dirty. I'd like to do a genealogy test like that but have privacy worries (read I watch/read too many Dystopian things). My procrastination habits are something I'll share later ;) Hope you have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use our diffuser as well, but find that I like the smell of candles and wax melts more.

      Delete
  2. I'm more of a wax melt fan, but we do sometimes burn seasonal scented candles during the colder months.

    I actually really like doing dishes. I find it to be quite therapeutic. I hate dishwashers, and am glad to do them by hand.

    We did the 23andMe tests several years ago. Hubby and I both knew a fair bit about our ancestry but were still surprised by the percentage results. It's quite interesting! Will you post about your results?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post the results when I get them! :) I also like doing dishes. It is therapeutic. I also like wax melts as well. I think I am going through a candle phase now due to it being cold outside.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE candles, but only use 100% beeswax candles, which I make, since they burn much cleaner than paraffin candles. And while I love some of the scents of scented candles, I don't want to run the risk of one triggering a migraine. As for dishes, generally, I love housework, but unloading the dishwasher is a task which somehow infuriates me. Oddly enough, I have no problem hand washing a sink full of dishes, in fact, I rather enjoy it, even if those dishes were not dirtied by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg - I force myself to empty the dishwasher while I'm making coffee. The espresso machine is pretty quick, but for whatever reason, emptying the dishwasher just feels like a hassle. So, I remind myself that by the time the coffee is ready, I'll be done! I'm usually too tired to debate with myself very much. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I like to see if I can get it unloaded under 5 minutes. My routine is to run it at night, and unload it while the kettle is heating the water for my French pressed coffee. I still despise doing it.

      Delete
    3. When we were using our dishwasher, I HATED it. Loading it, unloading it. I hated all of it. Now that we wash dishes by hand I don't mind it at all.

      Delete
  4. I too enjoy candles but husband dies not so I save them, which means I don't go through them often enough. I can so relate to the basket of stuff to put away. It's every corner of my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That basket is not the only one in my house. But I think it is the one that has been there the longest. Thankfully, my hubby doesn't mind candles, wax melts, etc.

      Delete
  5. I love candles and I like the smell of candles. I also like doing dishes. Hope you’re having a great weekend!
    Your children are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete