Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Deep Cleaned Rebecca's Bedroom and Crockpot Minestrone

Happy Tuesday everyone! 

Yesterday, being that it was a "snow/ice" day at home, I decided to get a few things taken care of since I was home without having to babysit or tutor.

One project I completed was I ended up deep cleaning Rebecca's bedroom during the afternoon. The other day I had asked her to find all the mates to the missing socks and she said she couldn't find any. I knew they were in her room so I told her I was going to clean it myself. I thought I was going to have to wait until Friday, but since I found myself with a free afternoon, well yesterday was the day! This was what I started with:



 

It took me almost 2.5 hours to clean it all up. Gus Gus decided to supervise my work. LOL


In the end I found many missing socks (inside toy bins, art bins, and underneath her dresser!) and I got a large trash bag full of trash out of her room (mostly art projects and craft remnants she didn't want and old broken toys). Her room looks so much better now!





Cleaning her room wasn't the only thing I did yesterday... I also tried my first new recipe of 2018. I mentioned in my 2018 goals, that I wanted to try at least 24 new recipes this year (2 a month). I am also trying to lose weight and eat better, so when I saw this vegetarian Crockpot Minestrone recipe on Facebook I knew I needed to try it.



It looked really good to me. I knew that the kids and Bill would probably revolt, but I can't always make things that only they like. They can expand their horizons sometimes. LOL

It was a lot of prep work dicing all the veggies (which I did Sunday night since I thought I was babysitting early yesterday), but once that was done it was easy to put together. As it was cooking away all day, it made the house smell really good; Rebecca said it reminded her of the smell of marinara.



The verdict: Rebecca and I both really liked it. Bill and the boys not so much. I think Bill would have liked it better if I would have added Italian sausage to it. The boys? Well I am not surprised. LOL

This recipe made an entire crockpot full, so I am gifting some to my vegetarian sister to see what she thinks. When I make it again, I will probably half it or even only make a 1/3 of the recipe.



Last night, it was a yummy dinner to come home to after I had to take Rebecca out to her basketball practice.

Overall, it was a pretty productive snow/ice day at home. Hoping that trend continues for the rest of the week.

Have you tried any new recipes lately?    

6 comments:

  1. Does your daughter toss her socks when she takes them off? My youngest son does that and it drives me batty! The minestrone soup looks delicious, we have it at work sometimes and I love it. Pretty sure it would not get the best reception around here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my kids toss their socks. It is crazy. I finally saw my sister tonight to give her some of the soup (she is vegetarian, but doesn't cook for herself as she is a college student). She said it was delicious!

      Delete
  2. What a productive day!!!
    We near have matching socks...
    My husband is forever giving them to our dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Our cats usually play with the balled up socks, but not the ones that have been taken off and are laying in the floor.

      Delete
  3. What did the boys not like about the soup? Too many vegetables? My daughter informed me when she was about ten that she had no more underwear in her room. I sent her back and we went round and round. I had just bought a dozen pair of underwear and remembered washing about 6 pair the day before. Finally, I went to her room and found the clean underwear behind the door to her room. Why? She had no answer as to why she put them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't like all the veggies, and the soup wasn't in chicken nugget form. LOL Oh well, gotta try.

      Delete