Thursday, January 4, 2018

New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and back to reality

On New Year's Eve, Rebecca and I went to church and then came home to get the boys. We headed to Walmart to pick up a few needed items and then stopped to get lunch on the way home. The kids and I had McDonald's and hubby had Taco Bell. This was my last fast food meal as I am giving up fast food for 2018. After lunch, I spent some time cleaning up the house and doing laundry so we could take it over to my parents' house on New Year's Day to dry it.  

New Year's Eve night we celebrated with a fancy appetizer dinner at home with our wedding china!






This has become a tradition that the kids really look forward to. This year we had pigs in a blanket, hot wings, mozzarella sticks, tator tots, pineapple, carrots and baby tomatoes. We also had sparking apple/peach and apple/pear juice for the kids and Riesling for Bill and I. There was also homemade chocolate pie for dessert. 

We let the boys stay up until about 10pm and then they went to bed. We let Rebecca stay up to see 2018 come in. We played Scrabble. I thought Rebecca was going to win as she played a 62 point word on her 2nd turn, however Bill ended up winning in the end. 






We watched the ball drop on TV and opened the door to let the old year out and the new year in. After that we took some selfies and sent New Year's texts to family. Rebecca spent some time running around the house yelling "Happy New Year" and then doing some embroidery on her shoes she bought. 




New Year's Day dawned bright and early as the boys got up early. Bill got up with them and let me sleep a little bit. After watching the Rose Bowl parade, we headed out to my parents' house, where Bill spent the majority of the time watching football. I spent time drying our laundry and folding it and eating way too much cheese ball. LOL My mom made a yummy traditional dinner of ribs, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, rolls, corn casserole, green beans and stuffing. There was coconut cream pie and cherry pie for dessert. We had a full table with Bill and I, our kids, my parents, my brother and his girlfriend, and my sister and her girlfriend.

After dinner, many of us played "Pie Face" which induced a TON of laughs!






Tuesday, I spent the day going to the grocery store and getting back to reality. I made chicken noodle soup for dinner as it has been FREEZING out (like in many parts of the country). Wednesday, the kids went back to school, after a 2 hour delay due to the wind chill. I had babysitting and tutoring jobs. I also had to follow Bill as he took his van in to the shop again. Guess it is back to reality. LOL

Today, I have a boat load on my to do list, along with waiting for the appliance guy to see if he can fix our dryer. Going to be a crazy day. Hope everyone is staying warm where you are! 


2 comments:

  1. I love your traditions!
    You are creating so many wonderful memories for your children.
    Your New Years sounds perfect. : )
    Hope you get your dryer fixed soon.
    Stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! Our appliance guy came out today and it was $200 to fix, but still cheaper than buying a new dryer. But still ouch! We are trying to stay warm...just got a call that the kids don't have school tomorrow due to the dangerous wind chill. Hope you are staying warm and cozy as well! :)

      Delete